I had a lot of ways I wanted to improve the Rostock, and I had never really been happy with that compliant frame. So in 2019, I upgraded Dr Ooze from a Rostock to a Kossel, by adding 2020 section profiles as a chassis. This was better, but it still wasn’t stiff enough and those plastic wheels on 2020 runners were a big backward step for the bearings. So I let it stew for a year….
These parts were printed at work. Wow! The print quality of the Makerbots is really clunky.
After a brainwave in April 2020, I added back the 8mm smooth rods with direct metal to metal contact with the frame. Finally Dr Ooze now has a stiff and precise frame, which forms a solid basis for all the following upgrades and calibration. At some point it became this wonderful heap of parts on my desk.
I set up a jig on the pillar drill, to get some good precision engineering.
The latest in bioprinting technology.
A bit of Solidworks to design some new 3D printed bearing chariots to fit my new rail spacing. If I were starting from scratch, good quality linear guide rails would be my choice, but I already had the rods.
Three evenings of calibration and tweeking later, and I’ve got a working 3D printer, with a big upgrade in precision.
The test rig has been sitting, guts out, on my desk for 4 years. It really should have it’s own box.
So much quieter and smoother! And I also upgraded the main board to 32Bit MKS SGen L. This upgrade was a week after I made the box above, and it relegated that box to the scrap bin. Ha Ha!
View this post on Instagram
A meditation in 3D printing. Finally got the bed levelled on my Development 3D printer. I've spent far to long on this in the last 3 weeks. A complete rebuild and almost totally upgraded. Added #octopi which is great. Upgraded to #klipper3d firmware which is amazing, got @tmc2209 @trinamic stepper motor drivers, for FAST and near silent printing. #deltaprinter #3Dprinter #octoprint
Klipper calculates all of the printer moves on the massively powerful Raspberry Pi (well, compared to the previous Arduino mega!). This allows the printer to move A LOT faster and smoother. Goodbye Repetier host - I also tried Smoothie firmware on the way, but Klipper was the stand out winner for a modern firmware.
With a nozzle probe and it just worked! Reflect back on the long nights I spent with MCP calibrating the first version … and this just worked :D
Which really improved print quality and bridging.
So it can now film timelapse videos.
I’ve got a printer that works.